Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pulling Weeds

We had a perfect weather day here today!  Warm, not humid, and a gentle breeze to cool you if you got too hot.  I loved it!  I took advantage of the nice weather and worked outside.  I pulled weeds and cut back shrubs.  It was hard work but so worth the effort!  Much to my husbands disappointment, the blackberry plant that he planted right in front of the porch was dead, and I had to get rid of it.  I never really thought that was a good place for the thing, so I was happy to cut it and hall it to the woods.   Now, to get to the hardware store to get new plants before he decides to replant it!  Anyway, back to my point for today.  (It may not seem like it, but there usually is one.)  The thing that I like about pulling weeds is not just how nice and neat the beds look when I'm done, but I know that the flowers and/or shubs are going to thrive once the weeds are gone.  That's right!  The weeds soak up water and nutrients that the flowers and shrubs need, and, if I don't stay after the weeds, they will eventually choke or kill out my flowers.  One of my favorite books is The Shack.  There is a section in the book where the main character is working in a garden that has become overgrown with weeds and junk because it hasn't been tended.  As it turns out, the garden he is laboring in is the garden of his heart.  Just like my flower beds, our hearts can become overrun with weeds too.  Weeds like unforgiveness, bitterness, hatred, greed and many others.  In the book, the man is amazed at how beautful the garden becomes after he spends time working in it.  God, on the other hand, saw the hidden beauty of the garden all along.  I encourage you to spend some time in your garden too.  Ask God to reveal any weeds that may be choking out your flowers or fruits of the spirit.  He sees the hidden beauty in your garden too, and He wants to help you discover it.  Happy gardening!  I can't wait to see the fruits of your labor!

No comments:

Post a Comment