Friday, March 16, 2012

When Clutter Is Not Clutter

Those of you that know me will agree that I am a strong type A, left brain dominant personality.  I like things to be organized, and I believe that everything should have a place and be in that place.  Those of you who know me also know that my house is not exactly this way; my desk at work always was and my classroom, when I get my own, always will be.  How can that be?  The answer is simple.  While God made me to have a tendency to like things organized, he didn't make my children and my husband that way, and I have learned that sharing my life with them means things won't always be where I would like them.  It means that my idea of clean and their idea of clean just don't equal each other, so we have to meet in the middle.  Oh sure, I could insist that my children meet my standards and drive myself and them crazy everyday trying to keep it up, but the truth is that I don't.  I used to make my youngest, age 9, always pick up her dolls and close up her "dream house" when she wasn't playing with them.  Now, as long as they aren't strewn all over the floor, where I will trip and fall and most likely break a bone at my age, I let her leave them.  I have discovered that leaving them out in the living room invites her to sit there and play, and I love to sit and listen to her doing just that.  Today, when I came out of my room and into the living room, she was there playing quietly in some imaginary world that she created.  I smiled a big smile and continued on into the kitchen.  The best way that I can describe how it makes me feel to watch her play is to say that it makes me feel good, like somebody that I love just came up and gave me a much needed hug.  My oldest daughter is 16 now, so I know all too well that it won't be long until the dolls are put away for good and the imaginary world all her own will be replaced by the real world of high school filled with real boys instead of Ken dolls.  Yes, I think that I will leave that doll house right where it is for as long as she will sit and play.  My definition of clutter has been altered, and I will enjoy it while it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment