Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Don't Procrastinate

My small flower bed has been neglected this year.  I pulled the weeds and got it ready for the new flowers over a month ago, but I just haven't had the money to buy the flowers yet.  It hasn't been empty though, I have 3 gerber daisy plant that came back from last year.....and more weeds than I would want to count!  I decided that I was going to get the weeds out today and get the bed ready for flowers that I plan on buying this weekend.  Morgan was supposed to help me, so I waited on her to get home from school to tackle the job.  She got busy with her dolls this afternoon and forgot all about me!  As I was out there sweating like a horse and wondering why I hadn't put on my sweat band to keep the sweat out of my eyes, I scolded myself for letting the weeds get so big and so numerous.  I tried to justify by reminding myself that I have had a nasty cold for what seems like forever.  My conscious spoke up and reminded me that nobody ever died from a cold and that if I had pulled the weeds when they first popped up, there wouldn't have been so many and their roots wouldn't have had time to spread deeper and wider into the soil.  I'm sure that God was chuckling at me as I had this conversation with myself.  No, it wasn't outloud this time, but I have been known to talk to myself at times!  In the midst of the weeds and the sweat, God spoke to my heart and said, "Kim, this is exactly how sin takes a hold in your life.  It starts out small; barely even visible to others in your life.  You know that it's there and that it needs to be dealt with, but you try to ignore it or justify it.  Before you know it, everybody that drives by can see it!  It is smothering out the good in your life just like the weeds were hiding your flowers and it is now going to take work and sweat to get rid of it.  There are probably people that love you that will be hurt in the process too. That is why you need to be in my word daily and worship me in all that you do.  That is also why you need to fellowship with other believers and have a trusted friend to hold you accountable in your words and actions.  I am here for you no matter what, but I want to help you avoid the pain that sin causes in your life.  So, as soon as you spot sin in your life, yank it out and toss it to me.  I know how to get rid of it once and for all."  I'm so glad God loves me enough to speak to me; even if it is through the weeds!  And guess what?  I found another gerber daisy plant hidden beneath the weeds!  Don't procrastinate!  Get rid of the weeds so that your flowers can shine, and don't be afraid to use some weed killer to keep the darn things from coming up in the first place! 

No comments:

Post a Comment