Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Soul Exercises

Today I read a great article by Catherine Martin entitled "How Do You Keep Your Soul in Shape".  She was addressing the issue of what I call soul exercises.  It is easy for most of us to understand, whether we do anything about it or not, that our muscles are stronger and serve us better when we exercise them on a regular basis.  It is sometimes harder for us to understand that our soul, or spiritual muscles, need exercise on a regular basis too.  She began by saying that self-examination is critical.  How quick are we to point out sin in a brother or sister's life while ignoring the sin in our own?  Yes, self-examination is critical!  She went on to suggest some soul exercises.  All of them were great, but the one that stuck out to me today was this one:  "Do I readily confess and abandon sins, habits, and distractions which quench the Spirit?"  I would like to say that I got this one, but, upon closer examination, I would have to say that I have alot of work to do.  I do readily confess my sins.  I know that I'm not perfect.  It's the habits and distractions that I really need to work on.  Habits like spending more time watching tv or checking facebook than I do reading my Bible.  Habits like eating food that isn't great for my body which is the temple of the Holy Spirit.  Distractions like worry and regret.  Distractions like gossip and fear of rejection.  I don't know about you, but I could go on  if I really took time to think about it and most of this is just in one day!  I know because I am a child of God that these habits and distractions need to be replaced with more Bible reading, more praying and more serving.  I know that I need to be more concerned with meeting the needs of others and less concerned about whether or not they are worthy.  Afterall, are any of us really worthy?  Ok.  So now I have confessed some habits and distractions.  Confessing is so much easier than abandoning, but abandoning is what allows God to use you to reach others, and I want to be used by God.  Please pray that God will enable me to abandon them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment