Saturday, June 30, 2012

Goodbye Rest Stop!

I discovered today that I am growing in Christ.  We should everyday in everyway, but I have been going through a season of change in my life, and while I have certainly been leaning on Jesus, I haven't been reading God's word or participating in Bible study like I have in the past.  In fact, I have been feeling like I have been cheating God out of His time.  Something happened today that helped me to see that even at times when we feel like we aren't doing enough or growing enough, if our heart is with God, then we are growing all along.  What happened isn't as important as knowing that I could have reacted with anger or shed tears of disappointment, but I chose instead to focus on what I have gained instead of what I have lost and reacted in love.  I explained to my girls, who were upset by the incident, that people come into and out of our lives for different reasons and seasons.  Some people come into our lives and remain an active part of them for as long as we live.  Some people come into our lives for a season and a specific reason and then are gone leaving footprints on our hearts.  And, unfortunately, there are some people who come into our lives and cause us nothing but pain and grief.  Those are the people that we sometimes have to distance ourselves from because we are seeking peace, not strife.  In the end, the affect that people have on us is entirely up to us.  We can't make them like us or want to spend time with us.  We can't make them change their behavior.  We can't and shouldn't change who we are to become someone we think they would approve of or like better.  We can, however, completely control how we react to other people's treatment of us.  We can choose to focus on Jesus and strive to be the person that He created us to be.  We are human, and we will experience hurt feelings and disappointments, but we can turn those feelings over to Jesus and let Him replace them with abounding love.  That's what I did today.

Thank you Lord for being with me in every moment of every day.  Thank you for continually working on me and molding me into the person that you know I can be even when I have taken a step back from the front lines so to speak.  Thank you for bringing me along the road of life and not leaving me stuck at the rest stop:)

No comments:

Post a Comment