Saturday, October 6, 2012

Have you ever been mad and you didn't know why or even that you were mad?  I was today.  My day started off great.  I slept in, and my husband went to town and brought me and the girls back waffles for breakfast.  I started cleaning house, and, before I knew it, I was suddenly a very unhappy woman!  My little girl is spoiled rotten, and she wasn't doing what she should have according to her Dad's list and my demands.  I found myself raising my voice and, finally, just telling her to go outside and play and let me do what I needed to do.  She, being the stubborn child that she is, wouldn't even do that.  Not long after I realized I was definitely in a foul mood, my oldest daughter left for work, and my husband dropped my youngest off at my Mom's house to play for a while with her cousins.  When they all left, I went back to cleaning and even left the radio off so that I could listen to the quiet.  It didn't take me long to realize that, even though my daughter is spoiled and should have done what I asked without complaining, she wasn't the root of my problem today.  The root of my problem is that I haven't spent enough time with God this week.  As soon as I realized that and spoke to God about it, my attitude began to get better.  You see, I got some bad news about a dear friend this week, and I have been very upset about it.  I knew that it bothered me deeply, but I really didn't think that I was mad about it.  Then, last night, my husband told my daughter that he was going to hang out with some friends tonight and that he would give me some money to take her out for a movie or something.  He looked at me and said, "Is that OK?"  I looked back at him and said, "Sure, I'd love to take her out for our anniversary."  Our anniversary is Monday, and, yet again, he completely forgot about it!  I didn't get mad and rant and rave.  He walked outside to make a call and came back to tell me that he had changed his plans and would be taking me to dinner instead.  So, today, I was really upset about my friend and completely disappointed that the man who stood before God and promised to love me forever can't even remember the day we got married, and most of that anger was directed at my little girl.  Now, back to what I said earlier about not spending enough time with God.  It isn't that spending more time with God would have changed my friend's news or made my husband remember our anniversary or even made my little girl do what I asked today; it is just that spending more time with God would have completely changed my attitude and my reaction to all of those things.  Spending more time with God would have humbled me to the point that I would have been able to extend grace and mercy to those that I love because God shows me that grace and mercy every day.  So, as I cleaned my shower and listened for that still, small voice, I asked God to forgive me for my anger and for not spending more time with him this week.  He spoke to my heart and let me know that I am forgiven, and reminded me to remember to extend that forgiveness to others...even husbands who forget anniversaries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment