Thursday, October 4, 2012

Busy with Things

What a week it has been!  I'm wrapping up my last week of filling in for a 4th grade teacher.  It has been a blessing in more ways than one, and I'm trying to make sure that I get this week's lesson done and leave the room and the kids in great shape for the teacher when she returns on Monday.  Of course, I have my own homework to do, but I took a night off from school last night to go to the Journey concert with my baby sisters.  I'm so glad that I did!  We had a great time, and, as I sat in between the both of them and wondered how they could enjoy themselves with the constant phone messaging and texting, I knew that this would become a night that I would always cherish.  I didn't even have a cell phone when I was the youngest sister's age(20), and I don't think that I would have had it on at a concert if I did!  I'm so thankful for our technology, but I am also thankful that I am from a generation that knows how to turn it off.  You see, because I lived without it before, I know that the world won't end if I leave my phone in the car or just turn it off from time to time.  I missed my best friend from high school last night during the concert. I lost her when we started our senior year. She would absolutely love the technology of today! She was so smart and always willing to try new things way before I was! She would be the one telling me to upgrade my phone and absolutely do twitter, but, if she were alive today, I would call her just to hear her voice or drive to meet her just to see her smile. Technology is great, but some things are just better in person.

It's easy to get caught up in all of the things that keep us busy.  You do know that busy is a state of mind, though, don't you?  Today I went to see a dear friend.  She is 72 and is one of the brightest lights for Jesus that I have ever met.  The doctors have found a spot on one of her lungs and think that it is cancer.  She is not worried.  She is a rock, and she isn't even praying that it isn't cancer.  She's praying that God's will be done and that, if it is cancer, that someone's life will be changed for the better because of her trial.  She told me today that she knows that she will get through whatever this is because God has already brought her through so much.  She lost her oldest son when he was 42, and she says that, if she could make it through that, she can handle anything.  She knows that God will never let her down.  We had a great visit, and I asked her if I could pray for her before I left.  She excitedly said, "Of course!"  As I knelt down in front of her to pray and held her hands, I couldn't hold back the tears.  I had to ask her to forgive me for not coming by more often before I could pray.  She smiled and told me that she did and that there wasn't anything to forgive.  She told me that she knows that I am busy and that we each have our own lives with things going on in them.  I told her that was true, but that none of the things were more important to me than she was.  We prayed, and I know that God's will in her life and mine will be done.  I headed home and was even more thankful for the time I spent with my sisters last night.  I wish that my other two sisters would have been with us.  Just the thought of losing someone else that I love reminded me once again that the things in this life are not as important as the people in this life.  In fact, even the things that people have done to us or not as important as the people.  If you're so busy with things that you don't have time for people, than you're too busy.  Get rid of some things and get busy with people.  The things will be here when you get done with people, but the people may not be here when you get done with things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment