Wednesday, October 10, 2012

What do you do?

My heart is sad tonight as my dear friend learned that she had lung cancer and is waiting for an appointment with the oncologist to discuss where to go from here.  The one spot that she new of turned into multiple spots in multiple places, and she won't know anything definite until a biopsy is done.  I still remember that crushing feeling I got when I learned that my Mom had lung cancer.  It has been 8 years, but I still remember where I was and even the time of the call.  We were so fortunate that her cancer was isolated and in only one spot when it was found.  A portion of her lung was removed, not as simple as it sounds, and the cancer had not returned.  She was spared the difficult treatments that so many with cancer have to endure.  I'm afraid that my friend will not have that option, and she will have to make some difficult decisions in the days and weeks ahead.  As much as it hurts me to think of her having to suffer, I know that this amazing woman of God will allow God to use her and this situation to inspire others.  She has already been such an inspiration to so many people in her lifetime.  As we talked tonight, she shared with me her concern for her quality of life versus her quantity of years left.  She doesn't want to spend her last days enduring treatments that make her too sick to enjoy her family if that is what she faces.  She didn't want to sound selfish.  I assured her that she didn't.  I told her that she would know what to do when it was time to make a decision because I knew that she would be talking to God about it and that He would direct her steps; she has told me this same thing many times.  Her faith in God never waivers.  She has taught me more about trusting God in the past 3 years than I learned in my entire life prior to meeting her.  Her joy is unstoppable because, as she has told me often, it comes from the Lord.  I can only aspire to have her faith and be the Godly example to others that she is to me.  So, what do you say?  What do you do when you get the news that you didn't want to hear and you certainly don't understand?  You go to God.  My desk calender today sums it up....."God, through prayer, invites you to receive of His grace and mercy whenever you are in need.  He encourages you to ask, to knock, and to call upon Him so that you may learn His will, know His heart, and receive His answers."

No comments:

Post a Comment